Mgr, Network Engineer
Location: Lake Forest, IL
The responsibility of this position is to provide direction, development and coaching to the Network Engineering supervisor and team members, which deliver the global data communications used to support Grainger’s business objectives. This position will ensure maximum availability, reliability, and performance of related infrastructure, systems and network-related applications so Grainger can conduct day-to-day business operations from order to ship.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provides coaching and leadership to Network Engineering supervisor and staff.
- Ensures team members have the appropriate level of expertise, training & mentoring.
- Oversees and ensures quality of infrastructure projects through entire lifecycle including: planning, design, implementation, ongoing support, and decommissioning.
- Drives and leads by example to create a culture of Continuous Improvement (CI), cross training, and inclusion throughout the department.
- Initiates interactions with business partners to research and identify alternatives which will provide new functionality, cost savings, or increased operating efficiencies.
- Develops strong working knowledge of the Grainger business and stays updated on products, services, and industry trends to lead the selection of appropriate data networking technologies to meet or exceed business requirements.
- Researches, resolves and responds to questions ranging from day-to-day production issues to highly complex technology solutions relating to business strategy.
- Ensures processes and regulations are followed to monitor networks for performance, availability, security (PCI), and suggests process improvements for all related tasks.
- Develops and reviews work plans and priorities for supervisors and staff to manage resources and communicate project status.
- Provides consulting services to other areas as required.
- Keeps updated on business strategy to ensure contracted services are aligned to plans; looking out 36 months. (Example Contracts: telecom, hardware, & software.) Manages annual $15M expense budget and capital projects up to $3M plus.
Preferred Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology or equivalent experience.
- Over 7 years of experience with demonstrated expertise in managing a team in network engineering design, implementation, and support.
- Success in managing a large network annual expense budget to +/- 2% and complex capital projects with direct business impact.
- Strong technical understanding and enterprise thought process of network technologies and operations to ask the right questions to provide direction.
- Strong background and understanding of network designs and services used in supporting a large US and growing global network.
- Expert understanding of local area networks (LAN), wide area networks (WAN), remote access technologies, provider capabilities, and network protocols.
- Working experience managing sales and technical teams from Cisco, ATT, Verizon, NetScout, Infoblox, and other network vendors.
- Ability to understand, evaluate and prioritize complex performance problems for team.
- Strong presentation skills, with the ability to communicate throughout all areas of the organization.
- Ability to lead or work on cross-functional teams and adapt technologies to meet changing business processes, and environments.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Must be proactive and able to work with little or no supervision.
“Grainger is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, or protected veteran status.”